10/09/2005

London Trip, Friday 9/30 -- Bohemian and Artsy London

At the top of my "Must Do List" for this trip was to check out the Soho/West End area. We started out at Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery and then headed over to Leicester Square, Picadilly Circus, Chinatown and Soho...



  • Why do I love Underground Trains so much? Every city has a different name for it. In London, it's called the Tube. I'm sure that if I had to take it every day and experience more of the delays and sardine-packed, rush hour madness, I might lose some of my fascination. But I just love being able to just hop on and off the train and get somewhere so quickly.... You can probably figure out that I'm not a long, cross-country, road trip kind of girl..
  • Art Beyond the Textbook... First stop. Trafalgar Square which is home of none other than the National Gallery. No longer am I spitting it out as a location on an art exam, I am actually here. Tingles up and down my spine. In consideration of my less enthusiastic companions and because I was only in London for 10 days, I opted to hit only the highlights of each wing in the Gallery, which was actually ok with me since my real love is 20th century art.
  • Share some more of that Bohemian flavor, please...On to Leicester Square, Soho, The West End and Chinatown to soak up one of the most colorful, hip parts of London. Lots of shops, restaurants and clubs... including, of course, adult entertainment clubs and shops (straight and gay).

Chinatown in all its bustling lights and glory!!

  • American Franchise? No Thank you. As we passed all the Burger Kings and Pizza Huts today, I couldn't help but think back to my first visit to the UK as a teenager. I was disappointed and impatient with my fellow adolescent companions because here we we were in Scotland, and by day 2, all they wanted to do was to find a Burger King. Then they complained that the burgers and fries just weren't the same as they were in America. Sigh...
  • British Fiction Moment: Though I was armed with an electrical adapter, I did not have the right voltage transformer for my hair straightener. Live without it? Oh no. I took the opportunity to go to Boots (drugstore) and purchase a Nicky Clarke hair straightener. (store and brand from Confessions of a Shopaholic)

No comments: