7/07/2008

Hoping that everyone enjoyed the holiday weekend as much as I did

During my visit to my parents' house:

Mom: What are you watching?

Me: Forensic Files

pause as she watches for a moment

Mom: This is about a murder!

Me: Mmm-hmmm.




Hours later:

Mom: Now what are you watching?

Me: 20/20 on WE

pause

Mom: Another murder story?

Me: Investigative journalism





The next day

Mom: Is this 20/20 AGAIN?

Me: No, this is Cold Case Files on A & E

Mom: Is this the kind of thing you ALWAYS watch? What happened to Judging Amy reruns?

Me: Shhhh. They're about to get a big break in the case...





Later

Me: Can I change the channel?

Mom: Ok.

channel is changed to "48 Hours Mystery"

Mom: ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Me (looking over in surprise): What's wrong?


A few other moments that prompted looks of incredulity and sometimes horror from my parents:

• When I put a full tablespoon of Nutella* on one small strawberry to eat while my mother delicately spread a thin layer on an 8-inch crepe which she was about to eat with several small slices of fruit. After which, I proceeded to spread half of the jar onto my own crepe.
• When I was 1 ½ -ing a recipe and said, “2 tablespoons x 1 ½ is 2 ½ , right?”
• When I crossed several of my toes at once as we were all chatting in the living room (What? I’ve got very long toes and I’m telling you, it feels really good – like stretching.)
• When in the middle of a conversation at the dinner table, I said, “Not since 1989? That was ten years ago!

You'd think by now, they'd expect this sort of thing from The Blonde Sheep.




*My ONE exception to the Dark Chocolate Rule

No comments: