12/07/2008

P.S.

Here I am pursuing a future of writing in some sort of professional capacity and the only adult books that have influenced my life in a significant way are chick lit and an out-of-print self-help book. Clearly, I need to take myself more seriously. It’s time to start reading and writing about things that will change people’s lives. Very, very serious things.

So I’m going to start now with a thought-provoking piece on a very current event, that event being the celebration of National Cotton Candy Day:


It all began in the 1400s when Italians discovered that they could make a fantastic dessert by melting sugar and spinning it with a fork. Over the next four years, spun sugar emerged as a popular dessert for very rich people. In 1899, a couple of guys from Tennessee decided it was about time that all the regular people be able to enjoy a little sugar. So they invented a big machine that would use centrifugal force to turn sugar, flavoring and coloring into what they decided to call Fairy Floss. In 1904, the guys took Fairy Floss to the St. Louis World Fair and the sugary star was born. In 1920, someone decided to start calling it cotton candy. Cotton candy comes in pink, blue, rainbow and probably a lot of other colors and if you were to eat it for every meal, every day, you’d have a lot of cavities.


Serious. I used the word centrifugal.

2 comments:

Kristan said...

Speaking of being a professional writer, this copywriter came in to meet with us today and I thought of you. His stuff was pretty well done, I thought:

www.lupariello.com

He's redoing his Web site soon, though.

Anonymous said...

You're like me, we spew big words to sound important, even if out of context. Haha, j/k