7/29/2009

You may remember me from such places as Event Management Company X

Last week was my first week as a part-time, long-term temp. The job has little to do with copywriting, but it’s a pretty sweet temp gig and I think I’ve made a brilliant first impression. Yup, I’m pretty sure that I impressed the hell out of the marketing communications manager on my fourth day when I was trying to save an event schedule I'd just created in Microsoft Office and I leaned over and had the following exchange with her.

Me: “Hey, I was just, um."

My eyes dart around to see if the director of marketing is still sitting at her desk, ten feet away and within earshot. (She is.)

Me: "Just wondering how I can, uh…"

MC manager is looking at me expectantly.

Me: "Well, you know..."

I lower my voice and lean in closer.

MC manager leans across the desk.


Me (whispering): "How do I...”

Her (whispering): "How do you what?"

Me: "'Save As...'?"


This after a week of trying to navigate my way around an exotic, black laptop that didn’t have a picture of an apple anywhere on it. Apparently, I’ve missed an entire generation of Windows since I last used a PC. And what with trying to remember to close documents on the right instead of the left and to use the scroll bar instead of the two-finger touchpad scroll, it’s a miracle that I didn’t ask her what the hell that crazy extra button at the bottom right corner of the touchpad was. Or maybe it’s a miracle that she didn’t ask me if perhaps I’d feel more comfortable carving the document onto a rock.

Ah but yes, how I have missed being Stupid New Girl. (Hello there, She of the Cool Hats!)

4 comments:

Kristan said...

LOL. That's exactly what I am afraid of now that I have a Mac as my home computer! So I missed out on Vista entirely, and they're going to Windows 7 soon...

Unknown said...

She of the Cool Hats here!! Ahh, and how I miss my Stupid New Girl but so happy to hear you are living up to the moniker! Glad your new gig is going well. Let's get together again soon!

Jennifer said...

Way to reclaim the title! No one else wears it quite like you. :)

ps. My word verification for this comment is "batinkle." Aren't they supposed to be random letter combinations, not words I type every day??

bebeMe said...

So THAT'S what this "Vista" PC term I keep hearing is all about. But now it's going back to Windows? Isn't that going backwards or something? Like going from looking at the panoramic view from the back porch to looking at the view from behind a little glass square in the wall? Or is that just me? Windows, vistas, it's all just so damn BATINKLING.

So I'm trying to think of the best way to introduce my new co-workers to my proper name. Maybe saying, "Why so formal? Just call me Stupid New Girl." Or maybe when one of them calls me, I can answer the phone with "This is Stupid New Girl." Or maybe creating an email signature? It's quite a BATINKLING dilemma.