4/25/2010

To all the art directors I’ve ever exasperated

I’m sorry. I didn’t know. But I’ve repented and I’ve changed my ways. Do you see it now? One space after a period at the end of a sentence. ONE. You may thank the proofreaders at my internship who catch every single one of my evil sins and then tell my art director who was the first one to finally grab me by the arms and say, “EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU DO THIS? I HAVE TO CHANGE IT.” God bless her.

So please forgive me. And maybe give me a break? I learned to type on a typewriter for Pete’s sake. I used to get a pat on the back and a cookie for remembering two spaces.

3 comments:

Kristan said...

Yup, 1 vs. 2 spaces can be quite the controversy!

bebeMe said...

Is it a controversy? According to everyone I've met recently, it's ONE SPACE ONLY. Because computers kern better or something. What have you heard pro two spaces?

Anna said...

Oh funny, my coworker and I were just having a conversation about this last week! We are both 2-spacers, which most people over the age of 30 probably are. It's a tough habit to break - I made the switch once but relapsed quickly. After doing some research last week, I found that even though 1 space is the "latest" accepted practice, those who prefer 2 spaces outnumber those who prefer 1 space 54% vs. 47% (plus a few undecided).

PLUS there are still fonts out there that are non-proportional (like the typewriter font that birthed the usage of 2 spaces) so do 1-spacers use 2 spaces for those fonts? I doubt it. So until there are only proportional fonts, I'm going to keep using 2 spaces.