3/26/2006

There is more than one path to creativity

I spent some time at the Nasher Sculpture Center this weekend which is pretty cool if you've never been there:

http://NasherSculptureCenter.org

Once again, as I read about all the tumultuous details of artists' lives, I can't help but wonder why much of society seems to expect artists (visual, performing and writing) to have exclusive claim on all the world's suffering. Are historians who are writing about the artist's life seeking it out to add authenticity? And with this mindset, how can any artist resist magnifying anything in their life that could be perceived as drama so that they can tap into the furthest corners of their creative powers?

I'm not saying that pain isn't a valid source of creativity because it can be. But as someone who lived and studied in the world of the arts for many years, I have seen great artists who lead (gasp!) average, stable lives

No comments: