4/01/2007

A Night to Vaguely Remember

I recently finished yet another work of teen fiction (my favorite genre). The plot of this particular story revolved around, of course, the PROM. And I had to wonder: are there really people who actually remember every detail of their prom night?

This is what I remember about my prom night: I had a really good time.

Don’t get me wrong. Of course I remember what I wore and who my date was. I know I went with about 20 people (I saved a few photos), but I can’t remember at whose house we took those photos. I’m pretty sure I remember the downtown venue at which the actual dance occurred. But I don’t remember anything about how we got there, the moment we got there, who we saw there or really much at all about what happened there. I know I went to an after party of some sort, but I don’t know where it was or what I did. Clearly, it was not a monumentally significant event for me... then or now.

But I know I had a really good time.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I didn't know this about you - teen fiction? Please share your recent favorites!

bebeMe said...

Oh, so many! First of all, I apologize for all of the quotation marks, but my HTML tags for italics are not working for me in the comment box for some reason.

I'm currently reading Ann Brashares' "Forever in Blue: the Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood" (and yes, I've read the first, second and third summers). I just re-read Sarah Mlynowski's "Bras & Broomsticks" so that I could refresh my memory before reading the sequel: "Frogs & French Kisses." Both are fresh and funny. My next read is Sarah Dessen's "Just Listen" which I'm fairly certain will be as thoughtfully written as her other novels. I recently read "Prep" by Curtis Sittenfeld who has an amazing gift to find exactly the right words to express those familiar emotions and reactions that you never knew other people felt as well.

But my all-time favorites are all the teen novels I've read of Meg Cabot ("Princess Diaries" series and "All-American Girl" series especially) as well as Meg McCafferty's "Sloppy Firsts" series. These are stories that are funny, moving and ring true to a teenage girl's journey to find her own voice. Reading them evokes an unmistakable sense of recognition and I can't help but to laugh, cringe and ache right along with the characters. Plus, the writing style is NEVER awkward for either of these writers. It's amazing.