10/25/2008

One of us didn’t grow up in Texas

Recent conversation between me, my friend who's also from Texas and my other friend who went to HS in San Francisco (after we'd decided that it would be really cool to have a “Portfolio Class Prom.” I know, I know, but we have class from 5 – 8 pm. Every idea sounds AWESOME by 6:30):

“We need to get those big, huge flowers with the ribbons flowing down from them to wear on our arms.”


Shocked silence.


“Are you talking about a MUM? Those are for homecoming!

“And you don’t wear those on your ARM!”

“I don’t know, what’s the difference?”


Sound of jaws dropping.


“HOMECOMING IS IN THE FALL!”

“And it’s about FOOTBALL.”

“Ok, but don’t you wear flowers to prom too?”

“You wear a corsage to prom.”

“Which is in the spring.”

“But they’re still flowers, right?”

Different flowers. It’s totally different. TOTALLY. DIFFERENT.”

“Alright, THAT then. We need to get that. Geez, who KNOWS shit like this?”



Peals of mad, gasp-filled laughter due to visions of showing up to prom with plastic megaphones and ribbons with your name written on them in glitter.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Lol. What high school did they go to?

Kristan said...

HAHAHA! I still have some of my mums from Homecoming. And a dried corsage or two, I think. Yeah, they're a little different. :P