11/20/2011

Because deep in her soul, Senior Designer is just as sick and wrong as I am

As a professional creative, you need to know that you can get a good dose of hardboiled honesty about your work.

There’s the kind of honesty that comes in the form of your whipsmart, southern boss peering at you over her glasses: the nonverbal, “Really? REALLY?” (And secretly, you kind of totally live for those such moments.)

Then there’s the stupefied silence in a room, immediately after you've read one of your headlines aloud.

But what you need the very most is the co-worker to whom you tell EVERY sick and wrong idea you have just so she’ll throw you out of her office with a, “WHAT? Is WRONG with you?"

In my case, that last one is the Senior Designer. She whose honesty spills over into non-work issues too. Like in this little exchange:

ME: But if Dirk knew me. I mean, really REALLY knew me and my personality…

SENIOR DESIGNER: Then he’d RUN FOR THE HILLS.

No comments: