11/12/2005

London Trip, Thursday 10/6--So Much Art, So Little Time

The sore throat I woke up to this morning did not dampen my spirits. We headed back to Southbank and the Tate Modern. While I did get to finish seeing the Tate Modern, I sadly noted that I wouldn't be able to see all that Southbank has to offer, including the Shakespeare Globe Theater, the Design Museum and many more smaller art galleries. I had to settle for photos.
  • Drama at the Laundromat... We went to the laundromat this morning and I was shocked to find out that the laundromat owner had never used cold water to do her laundry. She looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned doing my colors in cold water. At the laundromat, I also caught up on some celebrity gossip in the British pop magazines and heard on the radio about Katie Holmes' pregnancy. I don't know what was more jarring..the news about Katie Holmes or the look the laundromat lady gave me.
  • Geek at the Tate Modern... I was the geek. I knew it was my last chance to spend at the museum and I still had so many floors left to see. I ran up the flights of stairs, skipped lunch and, well, yes, I was taking notes again. The other day, I was talking about how great it was that the gallery is so accessible, but today I saw a possible downside... teenagers. Groups of them. I had to keep reminding myself that I too was a teenager. I used to run around with my friends with loud enthusiasm and make sarcastic comments. So despite my natural urge to give them all the withering look of an older, more sophisticated but still trendy adult (it works..they will shut up), I decided that it comes with the territory and kept my withering looks to myself.
  • New Foods I tried: Egg and Watercress sandwich (British thing), ravioli made with filo dough and cheese at The Real Greek, a restaurant that seems to be rapidly growing in popularity there. It was definitely the best Greek food I've ever had whether it was authentic or not.

No comments: