11/12/2005

London Trip, Tuesday 10/4--Art for the masses, south of the river

As a performing arts major, I was involved in the growing movement to bringing "fine" arts to the mainstream, starting with kids. I'm not so into the fine art scene now (by choice), but I still believe that appreciation of such arts are not exclusive to "artsy types" or wealthy people. But even I'll admit that when I go to any kind of artistic event today, sometimes I want to laugh because people act so serious and stuffy. There are many other cultures around the world, including the European culture that prove that fine art doesn't have to be that way, and today, I was reminded of that again. We spent the day on the Southbank (south side of the Thames River), stopping in at Oxo Tower, Gabriel's Wharf, and the place I'd been waiting to visit since day one...The Tate Modern (art gallery).

  • Art to buy... Before heading to the Tate, we explored 2 little shopping areas along Southbank. The bottom floors of Oxo Tower were filled with small shops with modern style prints and crafts. Right up my alley. Gabriel's Wharf had more traditional style shops.
  • Art to see... Actually, in my case, it was art to inhale and absorb. Unlike the National Gallery, I stopped at every work, read every description, took notes and I still felt rushed. I only covered half of the floors on this day. I knew I'd need one more visit and I still wouldn't have time to see the visiting Frida Kahlo exhibit.
  • Art for everyone... I love that the admission to the Tate and the National Gallery is free. I love that the Tate is so casual and accessible...that there were so many children with their classes or with their families, enjoying the art as easily as they would enjoy the state fair. It's easy to understand why fine arts are so integrated into mainstream culture here. Yet it doesn't diminish their love of pop culture. Thank goodness.



No comments: