10/16/2006

All Resignations are NOT Equal

Turning in a job resignation last week after 7 years at a very small company was more than a little distressing. As expected, even though it was quite emotional, my bosses were encouraging and completely supportive of my forthcoming professional and educational pursuits.

What I was certainly not anticipating, however, was what happened next. I'd just let out a great sigh of relief, thinking that the worst was over. But, of course it wasn't. I still can't figure out how the conversation turned from a discussion of my future to a discussion among my direct boss and upper management centered around sorting out my dating history in the last 7 years. As I listened, face burning red and slipping further and further down in my chair, I heard some of the following:

"But wait a minute. What happened to_________?"
"Oh c'mon. ______ was ages ago. There were at least 2 others since then."
"But wasn't ______ at the holiday party at The Four Seasons?"
"No, that was the year before."

And my favorite:
"So wait. Who is the current ex?"
Yes, that's right. He said "current ex."

How did this happen? I've tried so hard to be tight-lipped about such things. Will this be part of my legacy at that place? "Oh, her? Yeah, she was an exceptional worker with great skills and a lot of dates. "

Sigh. The curse of a small company.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I hope you don't mind if I start using the phrase "current ex" in daily conversation. That busted my gut. I think I'll still be giggling about this a week from now.