12/05/2005

Battle Scars of the Violinist

I haven't really played the violin for extensive periods of time for several years until last week. I put together a performance for a party last Saturday and spent 2-3 hours a night (nothing compared to what I used to put in), trying to get back in shape. Being away from that life for so long, I'd forgotten what pride I'd taken in the callouses on my finger tips and the "hickey" on my neck. They were literally a physical manifestation of my dedication to my art. Before anyone starts being impressed, I must say that I do NOT feel this way anymore. I prayed that my fingers would stay callous free as I cringed through the pain and every night, I stared at the ugly red mark on my neck in despair. Could this possibly be the same girl from years ago who loved her battle scars?

But when Saturday night rolled around, I realized that one thing remains the same. I still looooove to perform! Misshapen fingertips and ugly red marks be damned.

No comments: