8/26/2008

When I look in the freshly Windexed mirror, I see my mother’s zeal

Like any good germaphobe, my personal collection of cleaning supplies include (but is not limited to) Lysol mildew remover, Scrubbing Bubbles shower cleaner, Scrubbing Bubbles disposable toilet brushes and disinfectant wipes, Swiffer wet jet pads, Swiffer dry cloths, Soft Scrub deep clean foaming cleanser, rubber gloves and several area-specific toothbrushes and sponges.

But why?, my mother asked recently.

Because, I answered, I grew up in a house that was so spotless that people took showers before they came to visit.

Yes, well, she responded virtuously, all I need is a bottle of Lysol and some old rags.

Which led to a new sense of responsibility and a reevaluation of my bathroom cabinet. Did I really need 10 different cleaners for my 600 sq. ft. apartment? After all, I am the daughter of a woman who has mastered the art of simplicity.

But just as I'd resolved to trade the contents of my cabinet in for a bottle of good old-fashioned Lysol, I suddenly remembered that the woman who has mastered the art of simplicity is the same woman who regularly buys eight pounds of toasted almond dark chocolate bark from the Whole Foods candy counter. That’s four boxes full of $12/lb chocolate candy. In one purchase. By a woman who weighs less than the total cost.

And that is when I changed my Swiffer wet jet pad and tore gleefully into my new 3-pak of shower cleaner and an unopened bag of sponges. I mean, it’s the least I can do as the daughter of a woman who needs only a bottle of Lysol, some old rags and EIGHT POUNDS OF CHOCOLATE.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Hehe, I think it's cute that your mommy loads up at Whole Foods.

Just curious, how on earth do you manage to always get the hair you shed because I certainly have to sweep every minute because it's everywhere.

Kristan said...

Agreed, your mommy sounds cute.

And sadly, agreed on the shedding hair problem... I just try to wipe it off the floor once a week and mostly brush hair in the shower or sink so it's easier to keep clean.

bebeMe said...

Yes, my mother is adorable. She was especially adorable the other day when she told me that she'd figured out my problem: I can't find anything I really like to do because I'm lazy.

God bless her brutal honesty and tough love.

About the hair - fake blondes NEVER shed.

Ok, just kidding. Seriously: Kenmore canister vacuum, it being my very first purchase upon moving into my first apartment. And BTW, don't ever skimp on a good, quality vacuum cleaner. Yet another gem I learned from my mother.