10/15/2009

Teen Fiction: Tale of Two Summers

Click here if you are confused by this post.

BOOK: Tale of Two Summers
AUTHOR: Brian Sloan

SUMMED UP:
Two best friends spend the summer apart, but stay in touch through an online blog. One is gay (Hal), one is straight (Chuck).

MY 1.5 CENTS:
Love it. Crafted, authentic voices and a story that unfolds organically through the written ramblings between two friends. Not unlike the way catwoman and I share our lives in different cities through our emails.

COOL EXCERPTS:
The opening paragraph that instantly lured me in (Hal's voice):

So right off the bat, I have to say that this whole blog thing you've set up is totally gay. Now, I know that being gay and all I really shouldn't use "gay" in such a derogatory way, but what can I say? Writing blogs is so damn GAY I can't even discuss it. But this was your idea and you're supposedly straight, which makes the whole thing somewhat disturbing, actually: that straight-old-you could come up with such a gay-old-idea for keeping in touch over the course of the summer. But I guess there's no accounting for sexuality or something.


Another gem from Hal in the thick of one of their epistolary fights:

By all rights, I should go off on you. I should really start letting you have it via an endlessly agitated and somewhat enraged stream of electronic invective. But I'm not going to do that. I'm a changed person since you left. I've realized the value of being pithy - which is to say ... F.U., BRO!


And some of Chuck's voice:

One thing that might complicate our storyline is Ryan, our annoying director. He still hasn't told us his mysterious concept for the show, which Ghaliyah thinks means he's a friggin' genius. I think it means the dude has his head up his ass. Seriously. He acts like he knows everything, and he's barely out of school.

No comments: