8/15/2005

All in a Morning's Drama

It's amazing how much can happen before 8 am.

I can be annoyingly perky in the earliest hours of the day, but this morning, I was already scowling by the time I got to the office at 8. I sort out a lot of my thoughts and ideas during my morning workout (which is why I'm not big on workout buddies...but that's a whole other topic) and I spent this morning ruminating about an unpleasant situation from the past weekend. Already in a disheartened state of mind, I then got on the scale at the gym. Big mistake. So as I'm getting ready for work, I can't stop thinking about either one of these mood wreckers. A little while later, I got honked at on the way to work because I had the audacity to stop at a stop sign. As soon as I got to work, the first thing everyone wanted to know was about the weekend... Sigh.

Fortunately for me, the day turned completely around and my optimism returned. But it got me thinking about many a past dramatic morning. In college, I showed up to my 8:30 a.m. Music Theory class, slumped into my chair and announced flatly, "I hate men." I'll never forget a friend's incredulous reply, "It's only 8:30!" But yes, I'd already had a full on fight and was exhausted. I also had a fight with a cricket one morning (this is more dramatic if you know the extent of my fear of crickets). My bathroom flooding... ah, yet another lovely morning. Or the time that I found a dying baby mouse in my kitchen, 2 minutes after I got out of bed.

Thank goodness for the good drama mornings. The morning phone call reporting the birth of my first nephew. Blissful mornings with a new man. Christmas mornings. Birthday mornings.

But most of the time, I'm hoping that the next morning will be a nice, ordinary morning.....

No comments: