8/31/2005

Nawlins

I fell in love with New Orleans when I was in high school. Armed with my mother's (longtime New Orleans fan) lavish descriptions of the French Quarter, the one-of-a-kind cusine and cajun culture, I was not disappointed with my first trip to the city with so much soul and flavor. I went with my high school orchestra. Unfortunately, we were forbidden to set foot on or near Bourbon Street. Of courseI did.... how could I go all the way there and not? Not only was I just as enamored with everything my mom told me about, but I fell even more in love with jazz. I loved jazz, but hearing jazz where jazz was born..... Life changing.

When I returned as an adult, I had a completely different, but equally scintillating experience. Thankfully, I could spend as much time as I wanted on Bourbon Street and I still say that the finest music and musicians I have ever witnessed happens on about one or two blocks of New Orleans after dark. Unbelievable.

Every city has its own personality, but New Orleans is truly one of a kind in its architecture, culture and spirit of life. You feel it as soon as you're there. It's so much more than just Mardis Gras.

It's hard to believe what's happening to it now. Unspeakable tragedy. But even if some of the appearances change, I believe that the soul of the city will never be destroyed. The people and music will go on.

No comments: