8/28/2005

Friendship is a Choice

When I was in elementary school, I had a friend, let's call her Gina, who caused a lot of stress in my life. When things were good, I liked her a lot and we had a great time. But when she was ultra-competitive, posessive and jealous, or saying, "Well, my mom says..," I would get a stomachache and lose sleep. I was the girl who was nice to everyone and I hadn't learned yet how to set my personal limits in a friendship.

One summer, after some time away from her, I finally resolved to tell her that I couldn't hang out with her anymore. Interestingly enough, the next time she called, it was to tell me that she would be attending a different school the next year. She was sad, but I was relieved. While I didn't have the opportunity to actually initiate the "break up" myself, after that, I never had any problems knowing when to distance myself from even a well-intentioned friend and I never thought twice about doing it.

I really think that is why I've always been blessed with wonderful, positive friends who inspire me and lift me up, not bring unecessary drama to my life. It's 5% luck and 95% choice.

I have wonderful friends!

No comments: